Your Fat Can Make You Thin
Plan's name: Your Fat Can Make You Thin and The Insulin Control diet
Book(s): Your Fat Can Make You Thin:Calvin Ezran, M.D. with Kristin L. Caron, M.A.. The Type 2 Diabetes Diet Book : The Insulin Control Diet: Your Fat Can Make You Thin Calvin Ezran, M.D. with Kristin L. Caron, M.A., 2001.
About the author: Dr. Ezrin is a physician and endocrinologist who graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1948. He has published extensive research on diabetes, insulin and the functions of the pituitary gland. He worked with Charles Best the co-discoverer of insulin.
The diet is also called The Insulin Control Diet which gives a clue to its premise which is that carbohydrate induced excess insulin secretion is harmful and leads to a variety of problems including Type 2 diabetes and obesity. Dr. Ezrin’s plan is based on the metabolic control of insulin and serotonin. Reduction in carbohydrates takes priority but adequate protein and limited intake of fats is also important.
Serotonin is the most important neurotransmitter in the regulation of appetite and sleep. Carbohydrate, by stimulating insulin production, can boost serotonin levels, but only temporarily. Deficiency of serotonin causes carbohydrate cravings; when you satisfy these cravings insulin is released which causes serotonin to be made giving a temporary lift. This leads to the ‘Metabolic Trap of Obesity’ and is why the control of serotonin as well as insulin is important for weight loss.
The book has detailed information on the health hazards of obesity and the role of ketosis in fat loss.
By the numbers: : Ketogenic, low carbohydrate, low calorie diet plus aerobic exercise. Stress reduces serotonin leading to the demand for more seretonin but less is produced because stress interferes with deep restorative sleep, essential to natural production. Reduced serotonin is the reason why weight is inevitably regained after weight loss on a traditional diet.
- During weight loss take a low dose (25 to 50 mgs) of the prescription drug Trazodone to ensure a good nights sleep and ensure serotonin levels are restored. (This is a much lower dose than is used for depression which is 400-600 mgs and so side affects do not occur.)
- Aerobic and strength training exercise are important. Build up gradually
- 1000 calories and 35-40 grams of carbohydrate per day during weight loss
- choose complex carbohydrates and avoid simple sugars
- Stay in ketosis-test daily
- Drink lots of water-at least 8 glasses per day
Typical menu: N/A
Emphasis: Insulin Control. Ketogenic, low carbohydrate, low calorie diet plus aerobic exercise. Stress reduces serotonin leading to the demand for more seretonin but less is produced because stress interferes with deep restorative sleep, essential to natural production. Reduced serotonin is the reason why weight is inevitably regained after weight loss on a traditional diet.
- The important role of serotonin in weight control -something I have read of in no other diet plan. Seratonin is the contedness hormone so is important in sticking to anything demanding ( such as life?!).
- The addition of calorie control to the low carbohydrate method
Pros: Author is a qualified physician and has worked and published in the area of insulin control. The scientific basis of the method is explained clearly and there is no hype. He isn’t selling anything other than his book. Definitely worth trying if low-carb alone is not working for you.Cons: 1000 calories a day might sound off-putting -especially after all the high fat treats on Atkins! Counting calories can make you obsess about food. On the other hand I have found that the combination of low carb with low calorie is easy- no hunger pangs and faster weight loss.
Home page N/A
Summarized by: Ebee